My human has only one twos, one twos (twos) legs, doesn't think like us and he has been called weirds. I like that in a familys man. He is stubborns like me. He likes his beer dark. He could be called an Eclectic Peeps. Most of all, he loves me and I like that. DeltaBunny will journal our lives togethers in the small Delta town of Rio Vista, California.

All photos and Nose Art are copyright of author or as noted and may not be used withouts permission.

Want to add your beautimus photo to my Dogsbook? Cooools!

Helps me build my village of Frévilla in Spains. Go to Frévilla. ¡Gracias!

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

16 June 2005

VOLE IN THE HOLE ONE/HAPPY TRAILS?

On our walks to Watson Hollow in late April and early May...


Watson Hollow to the 'west'. Posted by Hello


Watson Hollow to the 'northwest'. Posted by Hello

I began noticing small tunnels and trails leading from the wildlife area into the turf area.


What is burrowing at Watson Hollow? Posted by Hello


Mysterious trails Posted by Hello

I remember such holes when we first moved in almost two years ago. At that time, I was dragging my humans along a fence line between a farmer's field and the golf course taking in the wonderful bouquet of the countryside. Soon I had my nose stuck in a small hole when the male human says to me with much excitement in his voice, 'Freda, a vole! A vole!' Yea, I know. A hole. 'What do you think I've got my nose buried in, Bozo', I quipped. Unbeknownst to me, a California Vole - (eNature.com) had wandered back toward its den on one of those neat little trails. It was less than 18" from me, but as a famous terrier once said, 'The nose in the hole is heaven'. Anyway, I missed my chance for a face to face with the critter whose house I was ventilating. Little did I know...


What's that? Posted by Hello

Last month while patrolling the perimeter of our backyard (You know our motto-Play, Sniff, Have a Great Time, Protect, Sleep, Eat, Play, Have a Great Time, Sniff, Sleep... and so on.) I caught a whiff of a familiar scent. Hmm... mammal... not a bunny... Watson Hollow... hole... two years ago...Hmm...Let me check this out. Something's goin' on here.


Maybe over there Posted by Hello


Practicing for the pointer trials. What do you think? Posted by Hello

I sniffed about the shrubbery and could smell something interesting. What could it be?


Anyone in there? Posted by Hello

'Hey Dad! I think you should check this out', I woofed.


I heeaarr you! Posted by Hello

So Dad pruned back one of the tree mallows and lo and behold-


Ah, ha! Posted by Hello

'Hey, Dad, I found it! I found it!' Something had dug a hole under the roots of the mallow. The burrow was smaller than a hobbit house so I thought I could handle whatever it was. Could this be the vole my male human got so excited about so long ago?

Then right in the middle of this big mystery Dad had to fly back to Colorado for several days. I kept an eye, well, both eyes on the situation. Every chance I had I raced out back to check things out. A real detective, like. Then one day I noticed one of those trails like I saw at Watson Hollow. Must be the same type of organism.


The trail through part of our yard. Posted by Hello

Oh, oh. Dad's not going to like this. You don't mess with Dad's yard. He even hoses after I pee because I burn the grass. Even after Tule. Guess grass is suppose to be green not brown. Wonder what he is going to do when he sees this trail through the grass? Don't want to be the critter that did this.


Dad's back but now the humans are packing for their trip to Oregon for a surprise birthday party. Guess I am going to the kennel. Not enough pet friendly places on the way up there. I'll have my notes with me and will edit the rest of this adventure during my stay there. I have been instructed to stay away from the kennel's computer. Apparently we infected it with a worm or something. I know it wasn't me! I thought only us dogs, those small furry things (cats) and our humans had worms. Weird. Don't want to touch a wormy computer. Will see you in a week or so.

Happy Dad's Day to all the human dads and dog dads out there. Why do human have to wait to celebrate somethng? I just celebrate every day.

2 comments:

Sam the black GSD said...

Freda what a great story! How annoying you are off to the kennel without getting a chance to "meet" the vole (you know what I mean by "meet"). If I "met" a vole, one of us would have a really good time.

Sammy

Heidi said...

Dose moles are pesty little buggers! Good vork Freda!